While you’re away from home, your house is more vulnerable than ever. While you are away, take precautionary steps to protect your property.
- Ensure your house is safe and sound if you’re away at Christmas by putting timers on lights and getting a family member or friend to come over to open and close curtains.
- Have a neighbor collect your mail when you’re away. Or, call the Post Office and have them stop your mail route while you are gone.
- Watch what you post on social media! Think before you speak. Potential burglars are like hawks on social media. They look through posts seeking out information on the types of gifts people have gotten, or when they plan to leave their homes for Christmas shopping or for vacation.
- Burglars are always on the lookout for such garbage items. That’s why you need to be very careful about disposing the packaging.
- Those pretty lights which adorn the exterior of your home need to be plugged in, right? Correct! Just make sure that you don’t run their wires through a window or door leading inside. That little wedge that the wire will leave is all a burglar needs to pry their way in.
- If your house is well-lit, the chances of any ‘funny business’ taking place on your property are reduced. Make sure you have floodlights or motion activated lighting around the exterior of your home.
- Make sure your home is secure during the holiday season. Check your windows and doors to make sure all locks are intact. If you don’t have one already, invest in a home security system which will protect your home and your family.
Last but not least, Merry Christmas from our family to yours!